Saturday, August 22, 2009

Frommer Say's 'No' To Arizona Tourism


A lot of people know and respect Arthur Frommer's opinions on world travel. Well, now they have an entire state to avoid in the U.S. according to Frommer. I read an article in the news reporting this and at first it seemed ridiculous to tell travelers to completely avoid an entire state. His opinion does hold sway with a lot of extensive travelers, so that could be damaging for the state in which his opinion is negative. Ouch, Frommer.

However, when I realized it was Arizona, I was o.k. with the idea. I remember reading about the protesters carrying semi-automatic weapons outside of President Obama's speech in Phoenix. Completely shocked and alarmed was my first reaction. How in the hell can that be allowed to happen? I understand people wanting their 'right to bear arms' but that is not an appropriate venue in which to take advantage of that 'right' that you've already managed to manipulate in order to posses those weapons in the first place! Whoa, run on sentence.

So Mr. Frommer's attention was also on this situation; he was so appalled (as any sane person should be) that he's now speaking publicly. He's telling traveler's and tourist's alike- to avoid the entire state of Arizona. His reasoning is sound. He's quoted as saying he was, 'shocked beyond measure' by the news of this American embarrassment. He was reported as thinking that Arizona's gun laws allowed 'extremists' and 'thugs' to brazenly display such weapons. Mr. Frommer also is reported as saying, 'I will cancel any plans to vacation or otherwise visit in Arizona until I learn more...and I will begin thinking about whether tourists should safeguard themselves by avoiding stays in Arizona.' I think that was well said.

In my opinion, it is completely ridiculous that Arizona authorities wouldn't deem it appropriate to have an ASSAULT RIFLE removed from an angry protester! Hello? Does anyone remember how many people have been shot at events that were as benign as a speech? Oh, that parade in 1964. That wasn't nearly as controversial as Obama's push to reform health care. It's just not wise for that kind of display of potential violence amongst a crowd of supporters and the extremist opposers. We all saw the footage of those horrible tea parties and how crazy those people looked? Yeah, that's because they're crazy.

Arizona should be embarrassed as should the mayor of Phoenix and any law enforcement offices in direct relation to this situation. Way to protect the people. At least your horrible city made the news I guess.

Stupid people bother me. I won't be spending any money in Arizona.

No comments: